Towards the end of 2020, Mojang Studios, the creators of Minecraft, announced its latest efforts to integrate with its parent company, Microsoft. This meant removing Mojang accounts – used by gamers to access and play Minecraft: Java Edition and the Minecraft launcher on PC – and migrating users to more secure and transparent Microsoft accounts. On Friday, the company revealed the deadline for this migration.
After March 10, 2022, a Microsoft account will be required to play Minecraft: Java Edition. Players now have a limited time to voluntarily migrate their old Mojang accounts before having to sign in with a Microsoft account to play Minecraft. This is the completion of a protracted process announced in October 2020.
Fortunately, the process of migrating your account is painless and has various advantages. Here’s what you need to know:
- The migration is free and only takes a few minutes. An option to begin the migration process will appear in the Minecraft Launcher or Minecraft website each time you log in
- Minecraft: Java Edition is still fully supported and unchanged, and all of your save data, worlds, profile information, and even mods remain fully intact and migrate seamlessly.
- You’ll get extra security with a Microsoft account, including the option of full two-factor authentication (2FA)
- You’ll also get extra online privacy and security through a Microsoft account, with lots of extra options and settings to customize.
- A Microsoft account can be used to access a variety of services with a single sign-in, including Minecraft: Java Edition, Minecraft: Bedrock Edition, and Minecraft Dungeons through Microsoft Launcher.
Once you complete the migration process, you will receive a free cloak as a reward for your in-game character. You can redeem this cloak at any time, even if you only migrate after the deadline has passed (it will only be then no longer optional). If you don’t have a Microsoft account, it’s recommended that you create one for free before March 10 to make the process even easier.
In case you missed it, Minecraft: Java Edition is now available via PC Game Pass, which means one of the best PC games is more accessible, alongside Mojang’s other Minecraft games and a Minecraft launcher. newly unified. As the migration from aging Mojang accounts to Microsoft accounts draws to a close, Mojang Studios is becoming a bit more integrated with Microsoft and the Xbox Game Studios family.
A catalog of games
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
All your gaming needs, in one subscription
Is Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value of all games? It’s possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold membership, Xbox Game Pass for Xbox consoles and PC Game Pass for Windows devices, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go fun. That means access to hundreds of games, with more being added all the time, for just one monthly subscription cost.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.