Minecraft: Bedrock Edition players can install add-ons to enhance their gaming experience.
While players can download these addons through Minecraft Marketplace, they can also obtain them from third-party sites and install them manually.
Downloading and installing Minecraft addons manually can be tricky for newcomers. However, it’s not too complex compared to some older methods that were needed for the game.
Whether gamers enjoy the Windows 10 or Pocket editions of the game, throwing a few addons into their world should be as easy as downloading and fiddling with a few files.
Minecraft addons increase play on Windows 10 and Pocket Edition
Since Windows 10 and Pocket Edition run on the Bedrock platform, both machines can install add-ons manually. Unfortunately, console versions usually force players to use the Minecraft Marketplace instead. Handling files on consoles is considerably more complex and can void a console’s warranty in certain circumstances depending on whether or not homebrew applications are used.
Either way, players will first want to find an addon they would like to download. For Bedrock Edition add-ons, there are several excellent sites like Mcpedl where add-on files can be found and downloaded safely without malware.
Install add-ons on Windows 10
- Download the extension of your choice. This file will likely download as a .zip or .rar file.
- Players will need to extract the contents of this archive file using a program similar to WinRAR or 7zip.
- Copy the extracted files and folders and head to your com.Mojang folder. For Windows users, the file path is traditionally C:/users/username/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe/localstate/games/com.mojang.
- Paste the files and folders into the com.Mojang folder. Behavior packs should be pasted into the behavior packs folder and texture/resource packs should be placed into the resource packs folder.
- Open the game and create a new world or change the settings of an existing world. Head to the resource and behavior packs tab and select addons from the pack menu. Then players can dive into their world and enjoy the game.
Install addons on Android
- Some Pocket Edition addons will be downloaded as a .mcpack or .mcworld file, which automates the installation process. If players download any of these file types, all they need to do is open the files with their Minecraft app and the addons will be installed automatically.
- If players download a .zip or .rar file, they will need to follow similar steps as Windows 10 Edition. To get started, extract the files using an unzipping application.
- Use a file explorer app or your device’s built-in file browser to locate extracted files in your downloads folder. Copy them.
- Head to your com.Mojang file. By default, this folder is located in your internal storage at file path /games/com.Mojang.
- Paste the resource packs into the resource packs folder and all needed texture packs. Behavior packs will go to the behavior packs folder as expected. If players have a .mcworld file, it will be placed in the MinecraftWorlds folder.
- Open the game and select addons via the create/edit world menu, much like Windows 10 Edition.
Install addons on iOS
- Players downloading a .mcpack or .mcworld file can open the files with Minecraft to install addons.
- If the downloaded files are .zip or .rar files, iOS users will need to follow certain steps to install the add-ons. Mac users should extract the files and place them in their com.Mojang folder as mentioned earlier. However, iOS users on Apple mobile devices will need to use a file explorer app such as iFunBox to move the files after extraction.
- On mobile, open iFunBox and select the file browser tab.
- Find your device in the list on the right, then click User apps.
- Select Minecraft PE from the next menu, and when the drop-down list appears, select open sandbox.
- Open the games folder, then com.Mojang.
- Copy and paste the addon files into the appropriate folders. As mentioned earlier, resource and texture packs will go in the resource packs folder, and behavior packs will go in the behavior packs folder. Map files (.mcworld) will also go in the MinecraftWorlds folder.
- Open the game on Pocket Edition or Mac and activate addons from the create/modify world menu.
Installing add-on files can be a bit tricky, depending on a gamer’s platform. Luckily, many Bedrock Edition addons come in .mcpack form, and .mcworld files make the process easier, especially for Pocket Edition players. However, once players install and activate a few addons, they should get used to the process, and installing them should be straightforward going forward.
For detailed guides, walkthroughs, tips and more, check out Minecraft Wiki