- “Minecraft” should update automatically, but you can check for updates manually in a few different ways.
- “Minecraft: Bedrock Edition” can be updated through your device’s app store, while “Java” players must use the Launcher app.
- Although updates are important, “Java” players should note that they may break some mods.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference Library for more stories.
The mega-popular sandbox game “Minecraft” has captivated gamers for over a decade. So naturally, the game has seen its fair share of updates and fixes – the most recent to date being version 1.16.5, released in January 2021.
Minor updates keep “Minecraft” safe and bug-free, while major updates that add new content are even more exciting for players. Like most apps and devices, you should try to keep “Minecraft” updated whenever you can.
Here’s what you need to know about Minecraft updates, including how to install them and the minor risks updates can pose to mods.
How to update ‘Minecraft: Bedrock Edition’
The exact “Bedrock Edition” update will depend on the system you are using to play the game.
On a PC
If you’re playing Bedrock on a computer, which is available to PC players running Windows 10, Minecraft should update automatically.
However, if you need to perform a manual update, here’s how:
1. Open the Microsoft Store app, then select the three dots in the upper right corner. Select “Downloads and updates”.
2. Select “Get updates”. All of your installed apps including “Minecraft” need to be updated.
Players who have “Minecraft” on a console – be it the Nintendo Switch, Xbox, PlayStation or DS – should automatically receive all updates. Your console just needs to be connected to the internet.
If an update you don’t think has been released, you can manually check for updates. The exact steps for this will differ depending on the console, but will usually involve selecting “Minecraft” and opening its settings page.
On phones and tablets
If you play “Minecraft” on an iPhone, iPad or Android device, it will update like any other app. In other words, it will probably also update automatically.
You can check for updates yourself by going to the App Store on an iPhone and iPad, or through the Google Play Store on an Android device.
How to update ‘Minecraft: Java Edition’
You can easily update your copy of “Minecraft: Java Edition” through the Minecraft Launcher app. This is the app you open and press “Play” to start the game.
Just like other versions of the game, the Launcher app should keep “Minecraft” updated automatically. Whenever you open the launcher while connected to the internet, it checks for updates and installs them before playing the game.
However, you can always check which version of “Minecraft” you have. Here’s how:
1. Open the Minecraft launcher.
2. In the drop-down menu next to “Play”, click on the “Latest version” option.
3. Compare the number below to the latest version of “Minecraft”. You can find it with a quick Google search.
If updates are not installing, make sure you have enough space on your computer.