Shortly after the release of Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 21w17a, Mojang Studios released Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 184.108.40.206 to test out a host of new features coming in Minecraft’s upcoming Caves and Cliffs update. Today’s beta will be important for some gamers, as Mojang Studios is pulling a ton of previously tested features under the “experimental features” toggle and into the general beta.
This is likely to continue splitting features into two updates after the Caves and Cliffs update was split into two parts and partially delayed. Now, the release of the Caves and Cliffs update is split between summer and winter later this year.
Anyway, players will now be able to test out Caves and Cliffs update features such as axolotl, glowing squid, drip, goats, and more. There are also tons of tweaks and feature enhancements already available in the first Caves and Cliffs Update beta.
Even though the Caves and Cliffs update has been partially delayed and split into two versions, there’s still plenty to be excited about. Minecraft now has nearly 140 million monthly active players, showing that Minecraft continues to grow at a steady and impressive rate. If you’re one of those 140 million, consider checking out our list of the best Minecraft products, toys, and gifts.
In case you missed it, I recently looked at why Mojang Studios still feels like an underfunded studio despite the massive success of Minecraft.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 220.127.116.11 includes:
- Axolotls are now available outside of the Caves and Cliffs experience
- Axolotls can be rehydrated with a Splash Water Bottle and a Persistent Water Bottle.
- Axolotls now have their missing sounds
- Axolotls now swim much more often
- Updated Axolotl and Glow Squid spawn rules. They can now spawn in any biome and up to y=63 instead of y=30
- Cobblestone and Cobbled Deepslate are now used to repair stone items on an anvil
- Powder Snow is now available in Creative Inventory
- Using a bucket of powder snow on a cauldron filled with powder snow results in placing a block of powder snow on top of the cauldron.
- Cauldrons fill up in snowy weather, creating a renewable source of powder
- Most mobs cannot step on Powder Snow, but fall into block instead
- Mobs inside a Powder Snow block start to freeze and eventually take damage
- Players can protect themselves from the powder by equipping leather armor
- Buckets can be used to pick up and place duster
- Fall damage is now correctly avoided when a player or mob falls on a single block of powder snow
- Glow Lichen is now visibly as close to the surface it is placed on as Java Edition
- Glow Lichen now has a map color that more closely resembles the block color
- Colors applied to text on panels are no longer barely visible
- Amethysts, Amethyst Shards, Amethyst Cluster Variants, Amethyst Buds, Budding Amethysts, Tuff Blocks, Calcite, and Smooth Basalt are now available in Creative Inventory.
- Spyglass is now available in Creative inventory
- Deepslate is now available in Creative inventory
- Azalea Leaves and Flowering Azalea Leaves have the correct color on maps
- Small dripleaf can now be placed on moss
- Lush Cave Blocks are now available in Creative Inventory
- Dripstone is now available outside of the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle
- The Pointed Dripstone is now available outside of the Caves and Cliffs Experimental Seesaw
- Water flows from stalactites
- Glow Squid is now available outside of the Caves and Cliffs Experimental Rocker
- Light object frames are now available outside of the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle
- Glow Ink is now available outside of the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle
- Maps now glow in glowing item frames
- Goats no longer drop sheep when killed
- Goats are now available outside the Caves and Cliffs Experimental Seesaw
- Oxidized Waxed Copper slabs can now be fused into full blocks of Oxidized Waxed Copper.
- Copper is now available in Creative Inventory
- Lightning Rod is now available in Creative Inventory
- Using bone meal on a sapling planted on a moss block now correctly grows a tree.
Pointed drip edge
- Pointed Dripstone is now properly destroyed after the block it was placed on is broken by block updates
- Fortune enchantment now drops more raw iron/gold/copper ore
- Raw Copper, Iron, and Gold Ore are now available outside the Experimental Scale
- The “Caves and Cliffs” toggle is now correctly localized
Adjustments and bug fixes
- Players can once again host multiplayer games and send invites via mobile/cellular data
- Chemistry item icons no longer disappear after suspend/resume in Education Edition worlds
- Fixed an issue with underwater fog being the same for all biomes and view distance not increasing over time
- Underwater view distance is increased in rivers and land biomes to look more like Minecraft Java when the “Caves and Cliffs” experience toggle is enabled
- Boats now break when colliding with a cactus on the side
- Changed arc position to match previous versions
- Crossbows in the hands of players and mobs now render correctly in all perspective modes
- Fixed an animation issue causing an unheld shield to re-equip to appear whenever the player changes their main item
- Cauldrons that have been emptied after containing a potion are now correctly filled with water when it rains
- Fixed an issue where fireworks of all colors could be crafted from any other color of firework charges
- Blazes and Enderman take damage again from splashing water bottles
- Fixed a bug where mobs would not spawn below y=0 when the Caves and Cliffs experimental toggle was enabled
- Mobs and entities once again make a sound when entering water
- Updated the appearance of the loading screen
- Android should see invitation notifications and success toasts again!
- Fixed an issue with some blocks that could cause them to grow too quickly when checked
/setworldspawn the command is now prohibited in legacy worlds and affected worlds will reset their modified spawn positions to the original position
Add-ons and scripting engine
- Addition of a
MoLangquery to get default bone pivots
MoLangquery to return normalized remaining usage time of item based on given parameters
A gaming masterpiece
Available wherever you play.
Minecraft is an indisputable and complete success. It has sold hundreds of millions of copies, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unleash all your creative desires. It’s also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox, Windows 10, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. Play with anyone and play anywhere.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Here’s how Forza Horizon 5 could be even better
Forza Horizon 5 is one of the best games of 2021 and one of the greatest racing games you can play. It’s certainly not perfect, though, with plenty of areas for improvement. Here are five things Forza Horizon 5 could do better.